Wednesday, January 3, 2007

My"Real-ity" show opinion

Have you seen big brother show before? I have not.
I have never watched the reality show called "big brother" until it was part of BAC assignment. Upon my exploration to "big brother 7- ALL STAR" movie clip, I actually watch some of the episode and get my brain thinking about this whole "reality show" concept. My first impression when I watch the show was.. WOW, this BB7 (big brother 7) show looks like the SIMS game that I saw, (http://thesims2.ea.com/) but of course this show is using real human characters showing interactions, and emotions. (By the way, even BB7 character using nickname so you can easily remember your favorite toy figure!) Ehm,, I mean favorite character.

With many "Reality Show” on TV, makes me wonder what was the reason behind the reality shows. Isn't it one of the reason people watches TV show, was because they want to escape from their reality life?

But again, when TV show called a reality show, is it really a reality show? Meaning: unscripted? Spontaneous? I don't think so. Each of the characters that I saw on TV have to go through rigorous selection from TV crew, and out of thousands applicants only few are selected.
Why the show is not real?
Let us be honest, who wants to watch people go to work, eat, and sleep?

So, pretty much What FOX, CBS, NBC called reality show is actually very UNreality show. I bet not one of us waking up each morning with cameras all over our face, sleeping with strangers, and running around naked all day (half day is maybe, but not full day though).

The advancement of the Internet and telephone has been use by the big TV networks, to put an illusion that the show is real. The technology enables the viewer to interact live with the TV show host, and create 24/7 accesses for the viewer follow the show. I guess this is why they call reality show. Although, in my mind, the only thing that is "real" in reality show is; the show is not real.

3 comments:

rbutera said...

These so called "reality" shows are quite simply the latest form of soap operas and day time dramas. While some prove to be entertaining (I can't stop watching RealWorld for the life of me!)they are merely a shallow form of public entertainment and voyuerism. Which in the end, diverts most people from their own daily reality.

~R

Carli Sekella said...

I agree with you both.

I can't believe this piece of useless information is about to come out of my fingers... I read an article awhile back about the MTV show "The Hills," in which one of the stars from another MTV show "Laguna Beach" is followed as she continues her life in college and through an internship at a magazine. After "Laguna Beach," the cast were almost celebrities - on the covers of magazines, at Hollywood parties, dating other celebrities, etc. On the show, the main character was chosen to work at a party thrown by the magazine she was interning for - she is shown being scolded for not doing her job correctly at the party and for sneaking her friends in. What wasn't shown, however, was that the other castmates of "Laguna Beach" were AT THE PARTY as guests, photographed by the papparazzi on the way in. And, in fact, the main character had previously graced the cover of the magazine where she was an unpaid intern!

Just noticed I repeatedly called her a "character" - the point is, as you noted, it isn't reality.

Thomas said...

I find this show a bit like the science fair project I once saw with a maze and a few mice in confined quarters. I agree with you on the entire supposition that this as a "reality show" is an oxymoron.
Their does not seem to be an real harmony to the facility!