Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Science of Shopping

Why do we buy? Perhaps the question of “why don’t we buy,” is what Paco Underhill discovers using his scientific method describes in his book. Compelling evidence of his scientific method was explained in un-scientific manners for the readers. While still reading the book, I keep asking myself for more information and not just simple explanation he throws to the reader. Though his writing is entertaining, but many times I believe the sample of his successful works is a bit biased. Lead me to believe his scientific method, almost like “Feng Shui.” Feng shui is the common method that Chinese people use, to achieve harmony, and balance in space arrangement.

Although I have not finished reading the book, but as a designer, I would like to know if the data Mr. Underhill collects can be generated into building design?
Does his scientific method works the same in different countries, cultures, and races?
Many of his method are obvious, could this be also the sign of declining good designer to spot the obvious from his/her design? Aren’t this supposed to be part of designers education? Does successful design can be measured by how much money the stores make? Or simply we just look Underhill as a marketing strategist?

3 comments:

Ken Ballard said...

Underhill is a marketing strategist! Although I too did at first see his examples some what biased, some of the references are impressive. Is he not doing his job by writing this book, i.e. selling himself, marketing himself to those that will not necessarily go out and seek him? As I indicated on Peter’s blog, we must speak in a language that out client can understand. This book does just that. This book could be considered as a marketing “display” for what he is selling. His unique way, well first of its kind, this type of research is wide spread now, from NIKE (as indicated in that Mel Gibson movie) to MTV to Captain Crunch; of pointing out opportunities to optimize the profits.

I also would agree that the principles that he points out can be translated to “good” architecture… One must be patient and deliberate about the program at hand. Ask the questions… sometimes question the obvious, and always listen to what the client has to say. For example, I designed an office building for a corporate collection agency, where the staff and branch manager was primarily female. Although the client and I got along well, there were aspects of how the business was ran that I didn’t get at first. I took for granted that she knew where I was going with design. I would complete a roof study from what I thought she had just described to me and when we next meet, it was something that she never wanted. I had to adjust what I heard and start to really pay attention to what she didn’t want rather than what she wanted. Color selection of the interior as well as the exterior was a way to express herself as well as marketing the firms business. The color palette was one that I would not have figured for this type of business, I was thinking bland colors with a sterile feel that more closely described the type of work, instead we used fun, energetic and uncommon colors that was an extension to her personality and her love of the “job”.

Tim Shremshock said...

I like where you are going with your thoughts Ken. I think perhaps the most valuable thing to take from Underhill's writing is the model of analysis that he uses to first develop a program before laying out space one. And this all encompasing tool can be tailored for any designed environemt. I think the scientific approach to research during the programing phase is something that rarely gets taught to architects at least in undergraduate programs, but such a powerful tool to be missing from your briefcase!

Thomas said...

The cross cultural things which Mr. Underhill presents are problematic on two fronts- First he has looked primarily at the Western Markets and buying patterns, and secondly, he has taken his relivance from larger retailers and less os of the local shop keepers and marketers. He like many seek, to manipulate. Many of these activities are passed from one genreation to another and from gendered to gender. What is important is that in the face of change, what are the relivant components of shopping.